Larry A. Green, MD, was elected chair of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) board of directors on June 18. Dr. Green succeeds Barry S. Smith, MD, who served as ABMS board of directors chair from 2018-2020. Dr. Smith will now serve as immediate past chair.
Dr. Green has served on the ABMS board since 2010. He is a member of the ABMS Executive Committee, Ethics and Professionalism Committee; Finance Committee; Governance Committee; and Vision Commission Task Forces Oversight Committee. He serves on the Stakeholder Council in an ex officio capacity. Dr. Green is past chair of the American Board of Family Medicine’s (ABFM) board of directors and has served on numerous ABMS and ABFM committees. Currently, he is a Distinguished Professor and Epperson Zorn Chair for Innovation in Family Medicine and Primary Care at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
“Larry Green has been a longtime, passionate advocate for board certification, ethics and professionalism,” said Richard E. Hawkins, MD, ABMS president and CEO. “We look forward to his leadership as ABMS moves forward with many innovative projects, including the continued work in implementing the recommendations shared by the Continuing Board Certification: Vision for the Future Commission.”
Other newly elected ABMS officers include:
- Michael L. Carius, MD (Chair-Elect) - American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Rebecca L. Johnson, MD (Secretary-Treasurer) - American Board of Pathology
Newly elected ABMS Board members include:
- Deborah Briceland-Betts, JD - Public Member
- Carolyn L. Kinney, MD - American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Katie O. Orrico, JD - Public Member
- Michael R. Nelson, MD, PhD - American Board of Allergy and Immunology
- Brent Wagner, MD – American Board of Radiology
Re-elected ABMS Board members are as follows:
- George B. Bartley, MD - American Board of Ophthalmology
- Keith E. Brandt, MD - American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Daniel J. Cole, MD - American Board of Anesthesiology
- Thomas W. Hess, JD - Public Member
- Walter H. Merrill, MD - American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Randall K. Roenigk, MD - American Board of Dermatology
- George D. Wendel Jr., MD - American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Bruce G. Wolff, MD - American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Board members elected to serve on the executive committee include: Barbara Wachsman, MPH (public member), Randall K. Roenigk, MD (American Board of Dermatology) and George D. Wendel Jr., MD (American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology).
Image: Larry A. Green, MD